Friday, March 5, 2010

From Nan

Fearnley (sp?) was originally Finkelstein; I corresponded with his sister, Anne (nee Goodman) who was rejected by her brothers when she married a Christian. I think I still have photos of her grandchildren--I had sent her photos of Amy, and she sent me her grandchildren's and, realizing that I had "married out of the faith" she told me a lot about her travails.

Her mother, Gran'pa sister, died giving birth to her, and I think her brothers harbored a resentment over that, so they were psychologically predisposed to reject her, I guess. The name Goodman, according to Gran'pa, was taken by him for convenience, since his sister (Anne's mother), had married a butcher named Goodman. Gran'pa told me this when he was living with Mom and Dad, and it startled me because we had always been told that Goodman was due to Gran'ma's maiden name, "Gutman". Never did clarify that--of course, both versions could be true. More than one family named Goodman/Gutman in this world.

Her mother was a "hunchback"--perhaps born that way (scoliosis runs in our family--Mom and Amy)--perhaps TB. She also had a twin (no hunchback), so TB is more likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment